Annual Exams, Breast Care & Womens Health
At Central Obstetrics and Gynecology Columbus GA, we know that annual gynecologic exams are a very important part of health care for women.
The annual exam provides an opportunity for your Columbus ObGyn doctor to detect and test for abnormalities of the breast, vulva, vagina, cervix, ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, and colon.
Listed are the basic things that may be included in your exam.
- Screening for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s): STI testing will be done upon your request or your doctor may recommend testing. Testing for Chlamydia & Gonorrhea are done using a Q-tip to swab the cervix or by a urine test. Herpes and HPV can more easily be diagnosed if symptoms are present at the time of examination. HIV, Hepatitis B, Syphilis are detected by a simple blood test.
- Abnormal growths: Infection with HPV (human papilloma virus) is a known precursor to dysplasia and cervical cancer. Most often HPV is not visible but when it is present your provider may see growths that are characteristic of HPV. An important part of your exam is palpation (examination by touch and/or pressure). Abnormal growths, including cancer of the breast, ovaries, and uterus are commonly found by palpation.
- Pap smears: Pap smears detect cervical dysplasia (abnormal cervical cells) and cervical cancer. Routine Pap smears provide an opportunity for early detection and treatment of dysplasia and prevention of cervical cancer.
- Cancers: Breast, uterine, ovarian, and colon cancers are more common in women over age 50 but can occur in younger women
Why Choose Central Obstetrics and Gynecology for your Breast Health Care?
We utilize state-of-the-art breast cancer screening technology at our Columbus ObGyn office and provide breast health screening appointments that allow enough time for a complete exam and for women to discuss all of their questions and concerns.
Because a breast health exam can be a personal thing for many women, it is important you feel comfortable with the medical provider of your choice. At our Columbus ObGyn office, our women’s health experts give sensitive and confidential care to every patient.
About Breast Health Exams
Routine breast health screenings are important for early detection of breast cancer. Breast health screenings include:
- Monthly self breast exams;
- Yearly breast exam by a doctor, nurse practitioner or certified nurse midwife usually done at an annual exam;
- Yearly mammogram for women age 40 and older or younger women who are at high risk for developing breast cancer;
- Other screenings that may be recommended for women who are at high risk for developing breast cancer.
We want to be your Columbus gynecologist. Call our office today at (706) 507-6306 to set up an appointment or to talk to any of our highly-qualified staff members. We look forward to serving you.
Thank you for trusting us with your care!
/appointment' class='appointment-btn'>Request an Appointment!