Fertility Specialist or Columbus ObGyn: Questions to Ask

Columbus ObGyn

According to Columbus ObGyn Dr. Otto Umana, women struggling with fertility issues often experience a variety of different emotions simultaneously:

  • Frustration that their efforts to get pregnant seem to be taking forever;
  • Envy that their friends are pregnant;
  • Embarrassment because they’ve finally come to a tough decision to seek more specialized help.

At first, you may not know whether to see your Columbus ObGyn or make an appointment with a fertility specialist.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself, when deciding between a fertility specialist and your Columbus ObGyn:

1. How long have you been trying to get pregnant?

A visit to your Columbus ObGyn is generally the first stop in the fertility treatment journey.  Because a common problem for couples who struggle with fertility issues is knowing how to properly time intercourse with ovulation, your Columbus gynecologist can perform a preliminary fertility evaluation.

While an over-the-counter urine test can sometimes do the trick, your ObGyn can conduct an evaluation to see if there are other factors affecting your ability to get pregnant.

2. What type of training does your ObGyn have?

Some Columbus obstetricians and gynecologists undergo additional training to treat patients who are struggling with fertility difficulties more efficiently.  A fertility specialist has also completed three years of specialized training with an approved reproductive endocrinology program in addition to their residency.

3. What is your medical history?

If you have had irregular or painful menstrual cycles in the past, or you have a hard time monitoring your ovulation, you may want to consider seeing a fertility specialist instead of an ObGyn.

Other reasons to see a Columbus fertility specialist are if you (or your partner):

  • Have had numerous miscarriages in the past;
  • Have had – or currently have – an STD;
  • Is seriously overweight or underweight.

4. How old are you?

According to your Columbus ObGyn, women over the age of 30 who have a history of pelvic inflammatory disease or problems related to their menstrual cycles, should see a fertility specialist.

5. Has your partner’s fertility been checked?

Another reason to see a specialist is if your partner has a low sperm count.  If his semen analysis comes back abnormal, he might need to see an urologist who has been trained to handle issues concerning male infertility.

If you have any questions regarding infertility, please call our office today to schedule a consultation.

MonaLisa Touch
review box
Dr. Otto Umana Otto Umana